- Leslie Lynn Nifoussi
Get Comfortable on Camera... tips for the aspiring host!
I love modeling, I love acting but...hosting is my sweet spot!
If you are interested in getting into the world of hosting, I have a few tips for you.
1. Let your agent know that you are interested in hosting jobs! That's an easy one, right?
If you've been booking modeling or acting jobs, they may not see you as a host and may not be sending jobs your way.
2. Pull up a news story on your phone and practice reading it, out loud, in the mirror. Use inflection. Connect with yourself in the mirror. Move your eyebrows. Feel the words that you are saying.
3. Grab a free TelePrompter app on your phone and upload a story that you can practice with (news story, script you have lying around or just make something up). Practice reading off of the TelePrompter. The ability to read quickly and efficiently from a TelePrompter is a must.
4. Facts sell, stories tell. When you have a script in front of you, try to separate the facts from the feelings. For example, when I am on HSN with a beauty product, part of my presentation is about connecting with the customers through personal stories. The other part of my presentation is explaining facts about my product. Facts tell, stories sell. This is how you draw that line between being conversational (your stories) and authoritative (the facts).
5. Up your energy. The camera zaps your energy so even when you feel like you're being way over the top, it's not coming off that way on camera. Bring up your energy more than you think you should...you can always tone it down!
6. Stay present. I have to remind myself about this before every shoot. In fact, the other day, I was on HSN and my husband was watching and later said to me, "I was waiting for you to smile and you never did!". Oy vey, I went on for 12 minutes and barely smiled! That's not very appealing! I certainly wasn't present. I was all up in my own head thinking about our sales, my demo and whatever else when I should have been just...there.
Of course, message me if you have any questions!